Saturday, December 22, 2012

My Oddly Named Blog

Assigning a name to something is terrifying business, primarily because I am uncomfortable with the idea of dispensing a title upon an object, whether it is inanimate (this blog) or living (my dog Lucy). Names are taken seriously by human beings, who have a universal and curious tendency to label everything around them, and as I pondered and deliberated over the name of this blog, I had a moment of rare decisiveness. "The hell with a title that makes sense" I muttered feverishly to myself after fruitlessly paging through various Mark Twain books looking for a clever reference. "I'll pick a line from a Springsteen song and a nostalgic childhood activity and just slap them together." Thus Endless Juke Joints and Wiffle Ball Bats was formed, a blog that hopes to serve as a launching pad for opinionated, informative, and creative works of mine.

The line "endless juke joints" comes from a phrase in Bruce Springsteen's song "Backstreets"which serves as a bit of an homage to a great lyricist and a reference to the musical inclination of this blog. My addition of a beloved piece of backyard sporting equipment is as much an acknowledgement to childhood as it is to sports, and since I intend to chronicle both, it is also fairly pertinent.

Now to the business of really trying to identify who I am and what I want to do with this blog. In a perfect world I'll be putting my thoughts up here a few times a day, they will be accepted with unquestioning respect and admiration, and I will be lauded for my eloquence, thoughtfulness, and my impeccable good looks. In reality this blog is just a way for me to express my opinions in my strongest medium. A few early topics will probably be movie reviews, thoughts on music, and sports analysis but I plan on expanding to a greater variety of articles as I fall back into consistently writing.

It isn't necessary to understand me in order to read the blog, and my guess is that the writing will speak for me. If you're interested, I'm a college kid with a long-standing interest in sports, music, and literature. Coltrane, Questlove, Marley, Page, and Dylan serves as a fair representation of my musical tastes, and Bryson, Heller, Tolkien, Kahn, and Twain are probably my greatest writing influences. I sing, play guitar rather poorly, consider myself a modern day Ted Williams with a Wiffle ball bat, and do not play video games not due to lack of interest, but lack of ability. I would appreciate, but do not expect, feedback and if you take time to send me anything, whether it is a compliment or a withering criticism, I promise to respond. If you are curious as to how to contact me, email me at stwilliams0407@gmail.com or simply comment on a blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment